Grace Diaries Lifestyle

How I Keep My Introverted Self Alive

18 October 2017

introvert, how i recharge, denim jacket, bill blass, vintage, old navy dress, shift dress, black wedges, booties, black booties, charlotte russe #introvert

To some, my subject title might sound a bit dramatic. However I’m pretty sure many of my fellow introverts can very much relate in one way or another. And to be honest like anything in life it very well can get dramatic if introverted needs are neglected for too long. I’m talking an internal crippling fetal position in some corner shutting down kind of severity. SO being an introvert as well as a lover of all things peaceful, preventing dramatic flares has become a priority in my life.

I have definitely always been an introvert. And quite frankly pretty darn happy about it too. Seriously, my introverted self is the comfiest place ever. But because there is only room for me you will just have to take my word for it. πŸ˜‰

Now for us introverts reoccurring me time, alone time, no-one else time is a MUST. It is our recharging station. It’s where we check in with self, collect thoughts, regroup, evaluate, all that good stuff. It is not uncommon for introverts to give of themselves whole heartedly, deeply, and selflessly. Not to say extraverts don’t, but since introverts are often self soothers the need to recharge alone is huge. Otherwise we lose sight of our self, become handicapped, and can then no longer be productive and purposeful.

So in those times whenever I become withdrawn, seem uninvolved, or perhaps drop off the face of the earth for a bit try not to take it personal. I will be back good as new. Please don’t be upset or feel neglected. Trust me you are on my mind. Please don’t give up on me.Β  Because in the end it truly is all about you and how I can be the best me for you.

I have found making time for little recharge moments throughout my week has been key to a more balanced and productive lifestyle. Below are myΒ  “Me Time” go-to’s:

* Getting Outside – Whether it’s sitting on my patio or a walk around the block instant recharge takes place. I consider it my quick fix. This is my favorite time to chat with God. It truly is the most satisfying feeling ever!

* Visit Local Farmer’s Markets – I don’t know what it is about this scene that makes me so happy, but it does. Perhaps it helps me feel closer to my family history in farming.

* Music – Sitting somewhere with Frank Sinatra or Billy Holiday Pandora serenading me with a glass of wine in hand.

* Gardening – I find gardening very therapeutic. I just really love it…when it’s not 100 degrees outside of course!

* Antiquing/Thrifting – I love browsing through pieces that have a past.

* A quiet solo lunch – Preferably sushi and outdoors.

To be honest it feels a little strange explaining myself to the world in a blog post. Especially since on top of being an introvert I am also quite private. And private people are notoriousΒ for seeing no need to “explain” ourself. πŸ˜‰ But it’s been on my mind A LOT over the last 9 months since I have started blogging. While blogging in so many ways is ideal for the introvert, there are quite a bit of extravert tactics we have to tap into in order to connect. I have been working hard to understand when and how to nurture necessary recharges so that I can continue a solid consistency with my family and readers. It feels good to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you so much for your continued support for me and Textures of Grace.

I am eternally grateful for you being here.

Are you an introvert or extravert? How do you recharge?Β

AnnetteΒ β™₯

WHAT I’M WEARING:

DRESS Old Navy | JACKET Vintage Bill Blass | BOOTIES Charlotte Russe

Popular Posts

• Reply Mama 18 October 2017 at 9:23 PM

I am an extreme introvert. I have to interact with people on a daily basis and it wears me out. I have to be able to hear my internal monologue enough throughout the day. I need my alone time!

• Reply Annette 19 October 2017 at 9:49 AM

I can totally see how daily interaction would be so hard. I love how you worded it “internal monologue”…so good! I hope you are able to squeeze in what you need each day. Thank you for reading. xo

• Reply Lena 18 October 2017 at 9:24 PM

I sooo needed this! I am an elementary art teacher, which is great in a lot of ways, but also soooo chaotic at times! I need to keep these tips in mind!

• Reply Annette 19 October 2017 at 9:54 AM

I am so glad the post resonated with you Lena. It definitely helps to hear others experiences to connect with. I can only imagine how chaotic a class room of kiddos would be for one day, much less daily. My own 3 kids are chaotic sometimes. Fortunately now I have learned to communicate with them by saying “mommy is a little too stimulated right now and needs a moment” and they get it. Otherwise I end up looking at them with this empty blank stare. lol Having those little reoccurring alone moments is huge and important. I pray you find your way. xo

• Reply Anna 18 October 2017 at 10:33 PM

Such a great tips, I work in an environment where it goes too chaotic a lot of times. Sometimes I feel like I just want to scream lol. These are such a great tips thank for sharing.

• Reply Annette 19 October 2017 at 9:59 AM

Totally relate to the need to scream! Although that one scares my kids so I have reverted to just pacing or rocking back and forth. Which I think that might be scary for them too. LOL So to prevent scary mama…intentional reoccurring recharge moments have worked. I hope you find yours. Thank you for reading. xo

• Reply Kiarna 19 October 2017 at 1:23 AM

I am an introvert and relate soo much to this post! I often meditate to regenerate! Thankyou for sharing 😊

• Reply Annette 19 October 2017 at 10:00 AM

Yes, those meditation moments are a life saver. Thank you for reading Kiarna.xo

• Reply Emily Anne 19 October 2017 at 7:38 AM

I am a major introvert and find I need to recharge often!! These are great tips!

• Reply Annette 19 October 2017 at 10:01 AM

It’s a very much often for me too. Thank you for reading Emily. xo

• Reply candy 19 October 2017 at 8:34 AM

Love the entire look, easy and casual. Can’t go wrong with a denim jacket for fall and great looking boots.

• Reply Annette 19 October 2017 at 10:02 AM

Thank you Candy. I couldn’t agree more. Have a good one! xo

• Reply Morgan 19 October 2017 at 12:14 PM

I’m an introvert! Lots of people don’t understand how I’m introverted yet share pictures of myself on a blog everyday haha!

-Morgan
    How 2 Wear It [] http://how2wearit.com

• Reply Annette 19 October 2017 at 12:37 PM

Oh how I can relate to that statement. At times I don’t understand that part either. lol The picture thing is a tricky one for sure! Thank you for reading Morgan. xo

• Reply Laura Leigh 19 October 2017 at 1:58 PM

Girl I am right there with you. I am the biggest introvert and absolutely love alone time. I tell my husband often I need it and need him to go be busy. He doesn’t totally get it but is starting to understand how often I need it, which is very nice!

xo Laura Leigh

• Reply Annette 19 October 2017 at 2:48 PM

It is definitely an education thing with our spouse. Especially since we generally pick our opposite. My hubby is an extravert and for the most part has really no desire to have alone time. Over the years he has learned to recognize my “fetal position/over stimulated’ face and graciously steps in to take any necessary leads while I go hyperventilate or more mildly take a breather. πŸ˜‰ Thank you for reading Laura. xo

• Reply Amber 19 October 2017 at 2:09 PM

It is hard to find moments to recharge with kids hanging from you all day but I love antique shopping too. Its quiet and relaxing!

• Reply Annette 19 October 2017 at 2:50 PM

Yes it is very hard! Coming from a stay at home mama for the last 10 years for 3 it is definitely challenging to find those opportunities. I hope you are able to squeeze in some moments to breathe. xo

• Reply Jenna Colgrove 19 October 2017 at 3:44 PM

introvert over here too!! you go girl!

• Reply Annette 19 October 2017 at 4:08 PM

Thank you Jenna.

• Reply Tillie Adelson 19 October 2017 at 4:00 PM

great post!!

• Reply Annette 19 October 2017 at 4:08 PM

Thanks

• Reply Rachel 19 October 2017 at 7:01 PM

I am equally an introvert and extrovert but man, do I love my alone time! Gardening is one of my favorite things to do when I need to take some time.

Rachel / http://www.helloher.co

• Reply Annette 20 October 2017 at 7:32 AM

I’m told an ambivert is when you can enjoy both sides of the spectrum. πŸ™‚ I really do enjoy gardening as well. Thank you for reading Rachel. Have a great weekend. xo

• Reply Felicia @ The Starving Chef 19 October 2017 at 7:10 PM

I’m also pretty introverted – I need to cook to recharge myself on the weekends or after a stressful day at work.

• Reply Annette 20 October 2017 at 7:33 AM

Yes, I enjoy cooking as well….through on some music, pour a glass of wine and I’m set to cook. πŸ™‚ Thank you for reading Felicia. xo

• Reply Jessica | PetiteStyleScript 19 October 2017 at 11:35 PM

This is a great post! I am also naturally an introvert until you get to know me.

• Reply Annette 20 October 2017 at 7:34 AM

Yes, I do better around comfortable surroundings as well. Have a great weekend Jessica. xo

• Reply Megan 20 October 2017 at 12:05 AM

I’m slightly introverted so I can relate to this! I have to have some alone time at the end of the day to collect thoughts from the day!

Megan | http://www.pipmegan.com

• Reply Annette 20 October 2017 at 7:35 AM

Yes…thought collecting is one of my favs. πŸ™‚ Hope you have a great weekend Megan, thank you for stopping by to read. xo

• Reply Michelle Zavodny 20 October 2017 at 8:20 AM

I love the dress options you’ve linked here!

• Reply Annette 20 October 2017 at 4:49 PM

Thank you Michelle…a great comfy style you can throw on the go. πŸ™‚ Happy Friday!

• Reply Molly 20 October 2017 at 8:26 AM

I am very much an introvert. It doesn’t come across that way online, but it does in real life. It’s hard with 3 kids to get that alone time, but I make sure it’s priority!

• Reply Annette 20 October 2017 at 4:50 PM

Yes, it is very tricky with kiddos…I have 3 kiddos too. πŸ™‚ Thank you for reading. Happy Friday. xo

• Reply Courtney Byers 20 October 2017 at 12:43 PM

Great read! I am such an introvert, so it is good to see other bloggers are too.

• Reply Annette 20 October 2017 at 4:53 PM

Thank you Courtney. I actually think there are quite a few of us introverted bloggers from what I am learning. πŸ™‚ I really appreciate you reading. Happy Friday. xo

• Reply Ruthie Ridley 20 October 2017 at 3:33 PM

So many awesome tips here… My husband and best friends are introverts! I can share this with them xo

• Reply Annette 20 October 2017 at 4:54 PM

Oh good. I hope it’s helpful. Thank you for reading. Have a great weekend. xo

• Reply Nicole 20 October 2017 at 8:14 PM

An extrovert over here, but even I need time to myself to recharge! Thanks for sharing Annette – great article.

<3 Nicole

• Reply Annette 21 October 2017 at 12:47 PM

Thank you Nicole, I appreciate you reading. Have a great weekend.

• Reply Kimberly Smith 21 October 2017 at 7:57 AM

Love this post & totally agree with the part about getting outside – something about the fresh air & being in nature always helps me too!

• Reply Annette 21 October 2017 at 12:49 PM

Yes! It’s so good for my soul. Thank you for much for reading Kimberly. Have a great weekend. xo

• Reply Steph Dorworth 22 October 2017 at 12:41 PM

I am an introvert as well. So it’s wonderful to hear I’m not alone in feeling happy about it. Great tips about things to do!

• Reply Annette 22 October 2017 at 7:30 PM

Thank you Steph 😊 I hear ya, I’m not the least upset about it. Hope you have a great week. πŸ’›

• Reply Kim 22 October 2017 at 7:09 PM

Sometime me time is just needed! Great way to recharge after a stressful day!

xoxo,
    Kim

• Reply Annette 23 October 2017 at 1:41 PM

Yes! Thank you Kim.

• Reply Jessica 22 October 2017 at 7:47 PM

I can totally relate! I love that you push yourself to get out there!
    xo Jessica

• Reply Annette 23 October 2017 at 1:42 PM

It’s an ongoing effort that is for sure. Have a great week. Thank you for reading Jessica.

• Reply Shira Rosenbluth 22 October 2017 at 9:45 PM

Love reading this. I think of myself as an extroverted introvert haha!

• Reply Annette 23 October 2017 at 1:43 PM

Thank you Shira. I’m told ambiverts can enjoy both. πŸ™‚

• Reply tina hogan grant 23 October 2017 at 12:36 AM

Great post great tips. The outdoors and the fresh air will defiantly simulate your mind and rejuvenate one’s self. Good for the soul and mind.

• Reply Annette 23 October 2017 at 1:44 PM

Yes, you are sooo right. Thank you for reading Tina. xo

• Reply Sondra Barker 23 October 2017 at 3:57 AM

Some introversion is always necessary to be happy. I definitely vibe with this.

Sondra xx
    prettyfitfoodie.com

• Reply Annette 23 October 2017 at 1:46 PM

Thank you Sondra. I appreciate your response. Have a great week.

• Reply Annie 23 October 2017 at 7:23 AM

I totally agree with you on this post! Love your list of things to do πŸ™‚

• Reply Annette 23 October 2017 at 1:47 PM

Thank you Annie. I appreciate your response. Have a wonderful week.

• Reply Veronica@inveronicascorner 23 October 2017 at 9:34 AM

Loved your candor in this post! So important to recharge and take care of yourself. πŸ™‚

• Reply Annette 23 October 2017 at 1:48 PM

Thank you Veronica. πŸ™‚ Yes, to recharge moments. Have a wonderful and productive week. xo

• Reply Kasia Walkow 23 October 2017 at 12:29 PM

Hi,
    I’m a huge mix of intro and extravert so it is hard to say. I guess that it all depends of the situation… When I meet a cute guy I’m so shy and introvert and I wish that in this kind of situation I’m much more brave heh… Life is a not easy ; )

BTW I love your dress. πŸ™‚

• Reply Annette 23 October 2017 at 1:50 PM

Hi Kasia, I’m told that Ambiverts can enjoy both introverted and extraverted scenarios. And you are so right, life is not easy. Thank you for reading. xo

• Reply Medha 23 October 2017 at 1:24 PM

I think I am in between being an introvert and an extrovert (whatever is the right word for that) but I can totally relate to NEEDING the ‘me’ time, which is also the recuperation time!

• Reply Annette 23 October 2017 at 1:51 PM

I recently learned that Ambiverts have been thrown into the mix. Apparently they can handle and enjoy both scenes. πŸ™‚ Thank you for reading Medha. Have a great week.

• Reply Steph 23 October 2017 at 1:46 PM

I’m not an introvert, but these are great tips regardless! I always need to get outside to just breathe.

XO,
    STEPH
    @TRENDYININDY || TRENDYININDY.COM

• Reply Annette 23 October 2017 at 1:53 PM

Yes, to “just breathe” moments. One of my favorites. πŸ™‚ Thank you for reading Steph. xo

• Reply Pamela 23 October 2017 at 3:50 PM

We have some of the same favorite “me time” activities! Gardening & thrifting top my list!

• Reply Annette 23 October 2017 at 4:33 PM

Yes, very relaxing options. πŸ™‚

• Reply Agnes 23 October 2017 at 10:06 PM

I can definitely relate to this post as I am an introvert myself. Your tips would be great for non-introverts as well.

• Reply Blair villanueva 24 October 2017 at 12:43 AM

I can feel you. Am also introvert, and my alone time makes me productive. I can write more when am alone.

• Reply Annette 25 October 2017 at 8:59 AM

Yes, it is very difficult for me to write when not alone as well. Thank you for reading Blair. xo

• Reply Miranda 24 October 2017 at 3:57 PM

I identify with this post SO much! I’m an introvert as well and love having my time alone. One of my favorite things is getting a bubble tea and wandering my favorite local bookstore. It makes me feel at home. πŸ™‚

• Reply Annette 25 October 2017 at 9:01 AM

Oh yes, I enjoy browsing bookstores and libraries as well. Just feels like good ol’ fashion goodness. πŸ™‚

• Reply Aireona 24 October 2017 at 5:30 PM

I really get this post. My favorite thing to do is drink chai and write somewhere quiet. Sushi is good too, but I tend to get a little shy when eating out alone. I really wish I could buck that feeling.

• Reply Annette 25 October 2017 at 9:03 AM

Yes, I get that. I think I tend to either have my phone or book with me while eating alone that way I am occupied versus staring at people or in looking into space. lol

• Reply Ayesha Farhad 24 October 2017 at 6:12 PM

Is there a mix of introvert and extrovert? Because I am exactly the same like you! I love to visit places that bring me down to the roots of my family history! But I also need to socialise. I have to force myself to socialise else, I fall into a rut and my life becomes really dull!

• Reply Annette 3 November 2017 at 11:32 AM

So sorry for the delay on responded. Your comment was in my trash for some reason?? Anywho, so from what I understand ambiverts are individuals that enjoy both sides of the spectrum. So perhaps that is where you fit. I too definitely need a balance, but for me I have learned to read those triggers to nurture “me time” before I go crazy. lol Thank you so much for reading. Have a great weekend. xo

• Reply Jamaria 25 October 2017 at 12:18 AM

I’ve always labeled myself as an introverted extrovert so I can definitely relate to some of the things you are saying.. especially the NEED for ME time.

Jamaria | http://www.throughjamseyes.com

• Reply Annette 25 October 2017 at 9:04 AM

I’m told when . you can enjoy both you are an ambivert. πŸ™‚ Thank you for reading Jamaria. xo

• Reply Kristina 25 October 2017 at 7:00 AM

Great post and love those booties for fall !

• Reply Annette 25 October 2017 at 9:04 AM

Thank you Kristina.

• Reply Jazz 25 October 2017 at 1:15 PM

Such a relatable post. I’m an introvert and have to make the effort every so often to get out there.

• Reply Annette 25 October 2017 at 4:53 PM

Thank you Jazz. Yes, it really does take effort. I appreciate you reading. xo

• Reply Casey 25 October 2017 at 2:39 PM

I relate to this post on so many levels. I definitely need my alone time to recharge. Without it, I am so exhausted. I love shopping and eating lunch alone to recuperate also. I definitely have the mindset of not needing to explain myself, something I am trying to get better at. Great post!

• Reply Annette 25 October 2017 at 4:57 PM

Thanks Casey. πŸ™‚ Yes, my lack of explanation has caused much frustration for others many times. πŸ™ We always have room to grow and evolve. Thank you for reading. Hope your having a wonderful birthday. xo

• Reply Emily Terrell 25 October 2017 at 3:07 PM

I’m an introvert who strives to be sociable in public, and then lets myself crash in the solitude when I get home. I read, blog and enjoy the fact that I’m home. I don’t like people. I don’t like being away from home.

• Reply Annette 25 October 2017 at 4:59 PM

I can totally relate to “the crash” when getting home. I too am very much a homebody. I do enjoy getting out and about sometimes, but not for too long. Otherwise I feel like I’m not where I should be. Thank you for reading. Emily. xo

• Reply LuxMommy 26 October 2017 at 11:23 AM

Loved this post to much. I am the same way.

• Reply Annette 26 October 2017 at 12:39 PM

Thank you for reading. xo

• Reply Cassandra Rose 26 October 2017 at 7:33 PM

Listening to music and eating alone totally makes me feel recharged and calmer. There’s something about being by yourself that is SO relaxing. I love going to the movies by myself because of this!

• Reply Annette 27 October 2017 at 6:08 AM

Yes, it is very relaxing. Uninterrupted thoughts. I haven’t made it to the movies by myself yet, but sounds like something I need to do. Thank you for reading Cassandra.