Lifestyle

5 Books To Read in 2018

January 15, 2018

books to read, extresso, white blanket, coffee, coffee time, God time, me time

Reading is definitely one of those pleasures that often gets put on my back burner. While I have never been a vigorous reader I do enjoy submerging myself in a good book now and then. Plus anything that doesn’t involve my face looking at an electronic screen of any kind is just plain refreshing! In efforts to ensure more reading time this year, my husband and I are designating two evenings each week to read versus t.v. time. We have done this in the past and really enjoyed it.

Below are my first batch of books to read in 2018:

1. “Extresso: Taking a Coffee Break With God” by Leah Whitton and Jessica Casarez

I am beyond excited to dig into this one! Not only is it a 6 week devotional that focuses on spending time with God, but the authors happen to be dear friends of mine. I am so proud of these ladies for following their hearts in efforts to bless others with wisdom and guidance on enhancing our daily relationship with God. So if you are looking for a daily dose of extresso in your life give this one a shot. *This post is not sponsored. I’m just proud of my peeps and anxious to get my own dose of daily extresso guidance. πŸ™‚

2. “FASHION The Definitive History of Costume and Style” by Smithsonian

I have always been fascinated with the history behind fashion. While this one is more of a study and research project. I’m really looking forward to learning more about the amazing designers that have shaped our culture in the world of fashion and style.

3. “Pretty Fun” by Kate Hudson

I am a huge fan of anything Kate Hudson and grew up with my mama loving her mama Goldie Hawn. Kate and Goldie have a knack for exuding a joyful and happy spirit no matter what. Her latest book is a lifestyle and entertaining guide that focuses on celebrating all the moments in life, big and small. Sounds like a good read to me!

4. “Capital Gaines: Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff” by Chip Gaines

Last year I joined the rest of the world and read the beloved couple Chip and Joanna Gaines’ first book “The Magnolia Story”. It was such a great book and so motivational. I laughed and cried throughout the entire book. So I’m definitely looking forward to some more crazy Chip Gaines stories and what value he gained from them! πŸ˜‰

5. “Capture Your Style” by Aimee Song

Just about every style blogger has dug into this one. I really enjoyed reading the book “Love, Style, Life”Β by Garance DoreΒ a few years back. So being a fan of Aimee Song’s work from Song of Style it’s bound to be a winner.

BOOKS I READ LAST YEAR WORTH SHARING:

What books are on your radar? Any suggestions on good books to read in my next batch?

AnnetteΒ β™₯

– Current Jam –

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  “Then” by Brad Paisley

Sign up for my newsletter to receive exclusive updates and early access to Blog Posts and Giveaway opportunities.

– TOP POSTS & PAGES –

• Reply jenna | the urben life January 15, 2018 at 12:54 pm

I would love to read Pretty Fun! This is a great list

• Reply Annette January 15, 2018 at 4:42 pm

I started that one this past weekend and it actually goes so much deeper than your standard lifestyle and entertaining book. Some great stuff ponder and grow from in our everyday lives. Thank you for reading Jenna.

• Reply Candace January 15, 2018 at 1:01 pm

I haven’t had time to read in a while, but one of my goals for this year is to read more. Thanks for this list!

• Reply Annette January 15, 2018 at 4:43 pm

This is one of my intentions as well. Hope your able to squeeze in a few good ones. xo

• Reply Mykee January 15, 2018 at 1:13 pm

I’m always looking for good books to read. Thanks for the recommendations. I love Kate Hudson too!

• Reply Annette January 15, 2018 at 4:44 pm

Thank you for reading Mykee. I started Kate’s book this past weekend and so far it is amazing. πŸ™‚

• Reply Liz January 15, 2018 at 1:19 pm

I needed some good book recommendations! Thanks for sharing!

Liz

• Reply Annette January 15, 2018 at 4:44 pm

Your welcome Liz. πŸ™‚

• Reply Torey Noora January 15, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Extresso sounds right up my alley, ordering it! Xx

• Reply Annette January 15, 2018 at 4:46 pm

So glad your going to get this one. I started it last week and was so moved and in tears as quickly as Page 2. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am Torey. xo

• Reply Kachet of The Kachet Life January 15, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I am needing to pick up You Are a Badass again! xo

• Reply Annette January 15, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Your welcome Kachet. I have heard so many people talking about that one. I need to check into that one. Happy reading. xo

• Reply Kelsie January 15, 2018 at 2:31 pm

I’ll have to add these to my list! I loved the book Pretty Fun, but the rest I haven’t read! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Annette January 15, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Your welcome Kelsie. I started “Pretty Fun” this past weekend. I am really enjoying how the book is so much deeper than your average entertaining and lifestyle guide. Have a great week.

• Reply Clay and Hannah January 15, 2018 at 9:42 pm

We Love to read together as a family and individually! Right now we are reading a couple of books on cryptocurrency. I would like to check out Capture your style that seems like it would be a good one for me! thanks so much

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 12:22 am

That sounds interesting. That would definitely spring up interesting discussion. Especially if the whole family is reading on the subject. Thank you for reading.

• Reply Melissa January 16, 2018 at 7:43 am

I am hoping to read more this year too! These look like great books. I will have to add them to my list.

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Thank you Melissa – It really is so hard to squeeze a good book in these days. Happy reading. xo

• Reply Emma January 16, 2018 at 9:37 am

Ah I really want to read Chip Gaines’ book! I need to read the other Gaines book first, though!

Emma | Seeking the South

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 3:51 pm

YES!! I highly recommend reading The Magnolia Story first. Soooo motivational and powerful story. So good I had my husband read it too. After he read it he was all pumped to quit his job, sell our brand new house and flip houses for a living. Like I’m not kidding! lol!! Happy reading Emma. xo

• Reply LuxMommy January 16, 2018 at 10:04 am

Oh I loved this post. One of my 2018 goals is to read more. So, I’ve been looking for suggestions.

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Thank you! I’m excited to make a deliberate effort to get back to reading more this year. Happy reading. πŸ™‚

• Reply Annie Fairfax January 16, 2018 at 11:22 am

I read Aimee Song’s book when it first came out and I loved it!

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Yes, I have heard it is amazing. I can’t wait to start it. Thank you for reading Annie. xo

• Reply JoJo January 16, 2018 at 12:13 pm

I love any time I can add books to my reading list! That devotional sounds so good. I love that idea!

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 3:55 pm

I started the devotional last week, and I’m really enjoying it. A great start to my day. Hope your having a good week. xo

• Reply Tristan Dennington January 16, 2018 at 12:54 pm

This is actually one of my goals for 2018 – read more books! I never seem to find the time, but I am determined to make time. These are all great recommendations!

-Tristan

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Thank is exactly how I was feeling. I’m seeing some great book recommendations so hopefully we can make it happen this year. πŸ™‚ Thank you for reading Tristan. xo

• Reply Lauren January 16, 2018 at 1:18 pm

I really want to pick up Capture Your Style! You’ll have to let us know how it is.

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 3:56 pm

I’m really excited to start it. πŸ™‚

• Reply Natalia Loren January 16, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Love me some good reads and I’m def looking into Extresso! I also had no idea that Kate Hudson had a book, curious about it now! Thanks for sharing these books with us!

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 3:59 pm

I started both Extresso and Pretty Fun last week and I’m thoroughly enjoying them. Extresso has been a wonderful start to my day. And Pretty Fun is actually Kate’s second book. Here first one is called Pretty Happy gearing towards finding happiness in your own skin. I’m aiming to read that one too. Thank you for reading Natalia. xo

• Reply Shann Eva January 16, 2018 at 2:05 pm

Congrats to your friends on their book. So cool! It sounds like a great inspirational book. I’ve also heard so many great things about Kate Hudson’s book, and I’d love to read it.

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Yes, thank you. I’m so proud of them. And I stared reading it last week and it’s been such a great start to my day. Kate’s book is great as well. It actually goes so much deeper than your average entertaining and lifestyle guide. Hope your able to check them out. xo

• Reply Hannah January 16, 2018 at 2:48 pm

Love all your picks for books to read!! I should add them to my 2018 book list:)

xoxo, Hannah

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Thank you Hannah. I hope your able to check them out. So far what I have started I’m loving. πŸ™‚

• Reply Diana January 16, 2018 at 3:04 pm

You’ve reminded me to take some time for myself and read more. I look forward to reading some of the books on this list.

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Oh good. Yes, time for ourself is soooo important, yet so hard to come by these days. Hope your able to squeeze in some you time to read soon. xo

• Reply Kim January 16, 2018 at 5:53 pm

I need to read the Kate Hudson book! I love her! The “Capture your Style” book is also so helpful!

xoxo,
    Kim

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 7:40 pm

I have been impressed with Hate Hudson’s book so far. Definitely recommend. I’m excited to dig into Capture Your Style. πŸ™‚ Thank you for reading Kim. xo

• Reply Mandy Gragg January 16, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Same here, it’s so hard to find time, but that’s one of my goals too for this year! Love your recommendations.

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Thank you Mandy. It really is so tricky for reading moments. Hope your able to make time for reading. xo

• Reply Taylor Aube January 16, 2018 at 7:23 pm

These recommendations are so awesome, can’t wait to snag up a few of these!

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Thank you Taylor. I hope you enjoy them as much as I am. πŸ™‚

• Reply Shannon | Shannie Chic January 16, 2018 at 7:30 pm

You have very eclectic tastes and I love all of it! Can’t wait to check all of these out. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Reply Annette January 16, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Thank you Shannon. I know… lol There is just so much goodness out there! I do feel all over the place at times. Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoy them as I am. πŸ™‚ xo

• Reply Megan January 16, 2018 at 10:17 pm

I need to add these to my reading list! With the colder temps I just want to stay in and snuggle and read!

Megan | http://www.pipmegan.com

• Reply Annette January 17, 2018 at 11:37 am

I know the feeling Megan. πŸ™‚

• Reply Azanique January 17, 2018 at 12:37 am

I have never heard of that first book but I am definitely going to check it out. I am trying to grow more in my faith this year, so this book may be perfect for me.

-xo, Azanique | http://www.lotsofsass.com

• Reply Annette January 17, 2018 at 11:41 am

I am in week two and have really been blessed. With our busy lives, it has also been helpful in the since that it is broken down by day with as little as 2-3 pages each day. So literally a brief dose of goodness and food for the thought to ponder in your day. Thank you for reading Azanique. xo

• Reply Jessica | PetiteStyleScript January 17, 2018 at 1:49 am

Great recommendations! I still need to read Capital Gaines! I also highly recommend Simon Sinek’s books!

• Reply Annette January 17, 2018 at 11:43 am

I have actually never heard of Simon Sinek, but book titles look like great reads. Thank you for the recommendation. πŸ™‚ Hope your having a great week Jessica. xo

• Reply Tanvi Rastogi January 17, 2018 at 9:38 am

I have not read any of these books … thanks for the recommendations. Will have to check them out.

β₯ tanvii.com

• Reply Annette January 17, 2018 at 11:45 am

Your welcome. xo

• Reply Kachet of The Kachet Life January 17, 2018 at 11:33 am

Thank you for the reminder about Kate Hudson’s book!!! I HAVE to get it. xo

• Reply Annette January 17, 2018 at 11:47 am

I started it this past week and I am really enjoying it. So much deeper than your average entertaining and lifestyle guide. Hope you enjoy it as I am. πŸ™‚ xo

• Reply Ruthie Ridley January 17, 2018 at 1:42 pm

This was right on time!! I have been dying to read more!!

• Reply Annette January 18, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Oh good! I have been feeling the same way. Hopefully we can squeeze in some good reading time. Thank you for stopping by Ruthie. xo

• Reply Tara January 18, 2018 at 1:41 pm

i’m super interested to read exstresso!!

• Reply Annette January 18, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Oh I hope you get it. I have been so blessed with my dose of extresso each morning. πŸ™‚ xo

• Reply Lauren January 20, 2018 at 3:24 pm

Kate Hudson’s book has been on my list!! Love this.

Xx,

Lauren | lifestylesbylauren.com

• Reply Annette January 21, 2018 at 9:09 am

I started it last week. And very much enjoying it. So much deeper than your average entertaining guide.