Life Lessons Style

I Choose To Be Me

April 26, 2017
blue and white top, embroidered top, denim skirt, mini skirt, basket weave bag

“But that’s not me” is a phrase that has resonated heavily for me lately. So you know what? I’m going to make it easy for myself. I choose to be ME, always. Why? Because it’s the easiest route. I don’t have to “try” to be me, it just happens naturally. We face enough hard stuff in this life already, so why go add to it and work so hard to be someone we’re not?

peasant blouse, wicker bag, nine west, distressed jean skirt, old navy

Now of course we all have room for self improvement and growth on achieving the best “me” we can be. And with that sometimes requires stepping outside of our comfort zone as I shared here. But the growth spurt is intended to expand our own unique traits to it’s fullest. Not to grow into our fellow neighbors.

It is so easy to get caught up in this rat race we have made in life and just follow the lead of everyone else because we were told that is the way to be in order to be “successful”. We spend so much time reading how-to books and researching tips and tricks on how to be successful, that before we know it we are no longer expressing our unique traits and begin to look just like everybody else.

mirror sunnies, peasant blouse, baybrook mall

Now I am not saying by any means that we shouldn’t expand our knowledge by reading how-to books etc. There is great value in research. But we should take from those lessons and create our own unique path to our own unique success. I guarantee those individuals that achieved success and actually made an impact didn’t succeed by doing the same thing everyone else was doing. They thought outside the box and contributed their own uniqueness.

peasant blouse, blue and white shirt, embroidered shirt, denim skirt, straw bag

casual chic outfit, blue and white peasant top, mini skirt, gold flip flops

I recently watched a documentary about a famous singer/songwriter. While the documentary was fascinating in many ways, one of the things that moved me the most was watching this individual dance. Now the dancing was not the common “jive” if you will. It was even a bit weird and awkward! But watching that person express their inner soul and move to their music in their own unique way was so amazing! That person was being their “me” to it’s fullest at that moment and the music created was even more interesting and impactful because of it.

blue and white blouse, mini skirt, distressed denim, red wicker bag, flip flops

I challenge us all to embrace the “me” that God has called us to be. And we should embrace everyone else’s “me” too. God has given us all our own unique and special gifts. And those gifts are to be expressed in our own way and within our own journey. Success looks different for everybody, but the reward of fulfillment is the same if we remain focused on our own path.

peasant top, blue and white embroidery, mirror sunnies

* So I have to share this little story….

Before I write a post I always pray that God will lay it on my heart what He wants me to share. I also like to do some form of exercise before I dive into writing it. It just seems to clear my head a bit and steer my focus in the right direction. So I kind of had an idea where I was going with this post. But when I was on my run before writing it, I was sharing with God that I was worried about my words coming across preachy or in a way that expresses that I have it all figured out (cuz Lord knows I don’t!). So I asked Him, “how do you want me to be when I write it?” and he quickly responded loud and clear in a very candid, playful, and loving way – “I want you to be you.” 😉

blue and white blouse, flip flops, casual pony tail, red hair,

We are important, needed, and special in our own unique way. And what God has placed in us to offer in this life is good enough. Let’s all be the best “me” we can be. xo

casual outfit, blue and white top, jean skirt

WEARING:

TOP Free People // SKIRT Old Navy // FLIP FLOPS New York & Co. // BAG Nine West

*Unfortunately all the pieces in these images are no longer available. However I have linked a collection of items below that achieve a similar look.

Latest Posts

• Reply Brenda April 26, 2017 at 3:38 pm

My beautiful and dear friend Annette your post touched my heart. I absolutely loved everything you said. I accept your challenge I will be the best me. I will keep to my style. I love that you wrote about this. And you don’t sound preachy at all. Thank you for writing this and reminding me to stick to being me. <3

• Reply Annette April 27, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Thank you so much Brenda for all your support. You have such a beautiful spirit. xo

• Reply Shauna April 26, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Love this! Yes, we have to be ourselves and have confidents in whom we are in order to be successful and shine in this world. Thank you for the reminder ❤

• Reply Annette April 27, 2017 at 4:36 pm

Yes, your so right. Thank you Shauna for reading. xo

• Reply Zayda Cortez April 26, 2017 at 9:32 pm

I agree with Brenda! I find it so touching that you exercise and pray before writing.

• Reply Annette April 27, 2017 at 4:36 pm

Thank you Zayda. I appreciate you reading. xo

• Reply Renee April 26, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Loving this blog. Thanks for sharing with us.

• Reply Annette April 27, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Thank you so much Renee. I really appreciate that. Have a great night. xo

• Reply Karin Rambo April 27, 2017 at 6:30 am

I just recently turned 33 and something about this year of living has made me say “screw it! I’m no longer trying to please everyone!” It’s been so refreshing! I feel so much more confident and uplifted than I have in a really long time (maybe ever)!

• Reply Annette April 27, 2017 at 4:41 pm

That is so great to hear Karin. I agree completely. I’m definitely a believer of staying true to ourselves. But this blogging industry is cray cray sometimes. I yearn for the creativity that was once there. Monetizing has shifted that a bit it seems. I really appreciate you reading. And I don’t remember 33 anymore. lol! xo

• Reply Crystal April 27, 2017 at 7:33 am

This is so true! Especially in a world that pushes certain trends and body types. 😁

• Reply Annette April 27, 2017 at 4:42 pm

YES! Such a tricky place these days. Thank you so much for reading Crystal. xo

• Reply Belle April 27, 2017 at 8:40 am

That is such a fun top! And I love that bag too! Love the post; it really is important to choose to be ourselves! Such a great reminder.

Belle | One Awesome Momma

• Reply Annette April 27, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Thank you Belle. I’ve had the bag for years and I actually thrifted the top last year. Good to know they are still thriving pieces today. 🙂 I appreciate you reading.

• Reply Meehandering April 27, 2017 at 8:44 am

There’s nothing like being yourself and loving yourself for it! Great post.

• Reply Annette April 27, 2017 at 4:44 pm

It’s so true. Thank you so much for reading. xoxo

• Reply Kristi April 27, 2017 at 8:58 am

Such a great message – it’s so important to be your true self – I believe that is what makes us truly happy and at peace! Love your style too!!

• Reply Annette April 27, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Thank you Kristi. I appreciate you reading. And you are so right…so much peace when we are ourselves. 🙂

• Reply Summer @ Coffee With Summer April 27, 2017 at 9:15 am

So much love for you for this post! I needed this reminder today. So brave of you to share! <3

• Reply Annette April 27, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Thank you Summer. I really appreciate you reading. Have an amazing night. xo

• Reply Ashley Millar April 27, 2017 at 7:56 pm

What a great story and message! Sometimes we forget how great we are. And don’t you love God’s humor?

• Reply Annette April 28, 2017 at 7:46 am

Thank you Ashley. Yes, his humor is so good! I totally laughed out loud when He said that. 😉 I appreciate you reading. Happy Friday! 🙂

• Reply Kelly April 27, 2017 at 8:45 pm

I love this. It’s so hard to be our authentic selves in the midst of all the chaos that life brings. Your words are inspiring! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Annette April 28, 2017 at 7:47 am

Thank you Kelly, I appreciate you reading. xo

• Reply shan April 27, 2017 at 9:07 pm

I love this top and your writing style! I also love the way you are so in tune with God and His voice. Bless you.

• Reply Annette April 28, 2017 at 7:48 am

Thank you Shan, I really appreciate that. God is so good…all the time. 🙂 Have a great weekend. xo

• Reply Natalie April 28, 2017 at 3:48 pm

This really touched me ! Amazing writing and truly exactly what I needed to hear today. As a mother , a new blogger , a childcare provider , and all the other hats I wear …. I sometimes lose myself in comparing what I have and what I do with everyone else . I have to take a moment and step back once in awhile to remind myself that I am me and I should not compare anything to anyone ! Thank you so much for this .

• Reply Annette April 28, 2017 at 6:22 pm

It really is so easy to get caught up in all the “to-do’s” of what “they” say we should be doing in this industry that we eventually get lost in this big shuffle and lose our individuality. Let’s be our own “me”. 🙂 Thank you so much for reading Natalie. I truly appreciate it. Have a great weekend. xo

• Reply Sara April 29, 2017 at 8:21 am

I adore this post! It is somehing I have learned over the years as well. It’s exhausting if you try to “keep up with the Jone’s” and be someone you’re not. God created us all uniquely and perfectly. It is so much better to just be YOU and enjoy life and shine God’s love and use the talents he gave you! What an amazing moment when God confirmed to you what you needed to write. He is such a good father and knows exactly who we are!

Have a great weekend.

Xo

Sara

• Reply Annette May 1, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Thank you so much Sara, I really appreciate you reading and your support. d yes, God is so good, and funny sometimes. 🙂 Have a blessed day. xo

• Reply Coppelia April 29, 2017 at 9:40 pm

This was SO good! What a great reminder to embrace who God created us to be. And I love the story you shared about praying before writing your blog posts. God really does answer our prayers!

• Reply Annette May 1, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Thank you Coppelia. Yes, God is so good. I really appreciate you reading Coppelia. 🙂 xo

• Reply Justine Y @ Little Dove April 29, 2017 at 10:34 pm

I love this top so much, it looks really great on you! I also love what you had to say here. We are ach such beautiful, unique individuals and we should strive to just be ourselves!

• Reply Annette May 1, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Thank you Justine. I really appreciate you reading. 🙂

• Reply Angela Amores April 29, 2017 at 10:44 pm

I love reading this!! You are you, and that’s amazing. I love that your finding your voice , and speaking with it.
    Angela

• Reply Annette May 1, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Thank you Angela. I always appreciate all your support. Have a great night. xo

• Reply Bridget April 30, 2017 at 1:09 pm

What a great read! Thanks so much for sharing these words, beautifully written! P.S. I love your outfit! That skirt is too cute 🙂

• Reply Annette May 1, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Thank you Bridget. I appreciate you reading. Have a great night.

• Reply Silvia May 1, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Love this blog post girly! I have to remind myself that I need to be true to myself and not look around and compare myself to the things going on around me. Thank you for this!

• Reply Annette May 1, 2017 at 3:42 pm