Style

The Boyfriend Blazer: A Styling Approach

March 9, 2017

The power of the blazer is oh so real. No matter the pairing of choice the blazer instantly contributes a polished finishing touch. It is a staple wardrobe piece that isn’t going anywhere and never disappoints.

navy blazer, j.crew, ruffle top

For this particular look I chose a boyfriend styled blazer by J. Crew in a lovely navy pinstripe. The quality is absolutely amazing. It is lined with a beautiful cobalt blue colored silk that allows for the perfect draping. Now I am on the petite side (5′ 2 1/2″), and it is often suggested smaller frames should only stick with cropped or shorter styled blazers. I personally disregard that suggestion. In my opinion it’s all in the styling. If strategically styled, longer loose cuts can contribute to a lean and longer looking physique whether you are vertically challenged or not. I happen to love long, loose, and flowy styled clothing in general so I make it work for my frame by compensating in other areas within my styling.

boyfriend blazer, j. crew, white skinnies, discovery green

Now for a shorty such as I, a common styling method to achieve long and lean with this specific blazer cut would be monochrome. As much as I love and utilize monochromatic styling,  I too want to cash in on some color contrasting from time to time. So, here was my strategy in pulling off a longer styled blazer with my petite frame in a none monochromatic format:

→I color blocked the blazer with an “equally” strong contrasting colored top. This automatically draws our focus upwards to the strong complementing color tones; therefore deters focus on any vertical challenges.

→I kept the bottom half neutral all the way down to the shoe. Don’t forget, leopard print is in the neutral family. So take advantage of that extra punch it has to offer. It’s one of those amazing touches that instantly takes a look to the next level. It’s magically subtle and strong at the same time.

→I folded the blazer sleeves at 3/4 and tucked in two tiers of ruffles that were at the bottom of the blouse. This prevented any drowning affects to my smaller frame. Believe it or not, these small tweaks are often times where the magic happens in our styling. We are all different shapes and sizes so naturally clothing is going to have different end results for each of us. You would be surprised what a small adjustment of unbuttoning a button on a blouse, folding a sleeve or pant, or tucking in here and there will do.

→The bag is yet another splash of color, yet coordinates with the blazer lining; which then again draws your eyes right back up.

Now I am definitely not suggesting my approach above is the only approach. I’m simply explaining how I made these pieces in this particular look work for my frame. 🙂

chestnut who what wear top, white skinnies, cobalt blue bag

On another note, let’s not forget that in “most” cases a blazer is a layering piece. Meaning you can take it off if need be! Which comes in really handy if you live here in Houston where the weather is ridiculously unpredictable. You can be cold in the 40’s one hour and then toasty in the 90’s a few hours later. So crazy! Which is pretty much what happened while shooting this look. But it worked out because this chestnut ruffle tiered top by Who What Wear is a beauty and deserves to have it’s own center stage as well. The color, the ruffle details, the fabric, are all so amazing. Pure stunner!

Unfortunately this blouse is no longer available (boo hoo), but I have linked some similar pieces below. Which by the way, there are soooo many cute ruffled tops right now!! I could have linked hundreds. However I just stuck to similar looks and colored tones reflected in this post.

blue bag, ruffles, who what wear, white skinnies, discovery green

leopard heels, ruffled top, white skinny jeans, blue bag, hoop earings

In conclusion, I encourage you to try to keep an open mind when it comes to fashion and styling. Try not to immediately rule out something you like based on what is perhaps suggested for your frame. Evaluate the unwanted appeal and just play around with varies styling techniques until you achieve what works best for you and your frame. It doesn’t always work out in our favor, but sometimes it can if we tweak and customize it to our needs.

pinstripe blazer, ruffle top, cobalt blue bag, who what wear

What type of techniques do you use to make certain garments work in your favor? I would love to hear them.

Thank you for reading. I hope this sparked some inspiration whether your a shorty or not. 😉 Look forward to hearing from you.

ruffle tier, chestnut who what wear, hoop earings

Wearing:

BLAZER J. Crew (similar) || TOP Who What Wear (similar) (similar) (similar) (similar) (similar)|| SKINNIES White House Black House (similar) || BAG Forever 21 (similar) (similar)|| SHOES Vintage (similar)

ALL IMAGES: Broken Light Bulb

– RECENT POSTS –

• Reply Patricia March 9, 2017 at 11:17 am

Love the Blazer & Ruffled blouse, goes really well with your hair & eyes! Life is full of tweaking, to make it work your body & your life!

• Reply Annette March 10, 2017 at 9:50 am

Thank you. 🙂 Your so right! Life is full of constant tweaking! Thanks for reading. xo

• Reply Brenda March 9, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Annette this is such a great outfit on you!! I love boyfriend blazers. I love how you can dress them up or down. Being in between “average” womens department and the plus size department its really hard to find anything that fits just right. Ive been told not to wear many things some that are my favorite so I have to make them work. This was such a great informative post!! Have a great week gorgeous!!

• Reply Annette March 10, 2017 at 9:56 am

Thanks Brenda. 🙂 I just really feel we shouldn’t let someone else’s opinion hold us back from at least trying something if it’s a style we are naturally drawn to ya know? Sometimes it just takes playing around with it and getting creative. That’s what styling is all about anyway, making it our own. Thank you sooo much for reading. Have an amazing weekend friend. xo

• Reply Summer @ Coffee With Summer March 10, 2017 at 7:43 am

You pull this off so well, girly! Beautiful and classic!

• Reply Annette March 10, 2017 at 9:58 am

Thank you Summer! 🙂 I appreciate you reading. Have a great weekend. 🙂

• Reply Blessy A March 10, 2017 at 8:05 am

I could wear this to wear as business casual and then wear the same outfit with or w/out for a dinner at night… Love it!

• Reply Annette March 10, 2017 at 9:58 am

Yes! Great transitional look. Thanks for reading girl! Have an amazing weekend. xo

• Reply Courtney Buechle March 10, 2017 at 8:12 am

YES to this post! I absolutely love boyfriend blazers and they can be so tricky to style. You look gorgeous!

XO – Courtney B. (The Finishing Touch OKC)

• Reply Annette March 10, 2017 at 10:01 am

Thank you Courtney. 🙂 Boyfriend blazers really are great at being casual and laid back, yet chic! I appreciate you reading. Have a great weekend!

• Reply Charity March 10, 2017 at 8:23 am

This is one item I am missing in my closet. Now I am inspired to shop for one. You look great!

• Reply Annette March 10, 2017 at 10:04 am

Thanks Charity. Its definitely a piece that has lots to offer in our wardrobe. Good quality blazers can be an expense though. You can really find some excellent brand quality options in resale for like $10 that are practically brand new. Happy shopping. Have a great weekend girl! xo

• Reply Lauren Johnson March 10, 2017 at 10:06 am

Blazer’s are a great way to sophisticate any cute girl outfit to a mature boss lady… it definitely gives you a more professional edge, but you can still show your personal flair underneath. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Annette March 13, 2017 at 4:06 pm

So true! Thanks for reading Lauren.

• Reply Karina March 10, 2017 at 4:57 pm

I loved how you styled this! That burnt orange top goes nicely with the blazer… and I love how the white jeans just balance it all out! You look phenomenal!

• Reply Annette March 13, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Thank you so much Karina. I appreciate you reading.

• Reply Rebecca Hicks March 10, 2017 at 10:06 pm

That blazer looks fantastic on you, and I totally agree- it gives such a strong, powerful vibe! I used to love wearing blazers when I did presentations in college.

• Reply Annette March 13, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Thank you! I appreciate you reading Rebecca. Have a good one.

• Reply Mary March 11, 2017 at 6:45 pm

this blazer is so chic, i love how structured it is! great styling with the ruffled top as well!

• Reply Annette March 13, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Thank you Mary. 🙂

• Reply Christelle March 12, 2017 at 9:32 pm

LOVE this outfit. And adore your hair! I’m a fan of red 🙂

• Reply Annette March 13, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Thank you Christelle. 🙂 I appreciate you reading.

• Reply Jaclyn Quinones March 15, 2017 at 1:22 pm

I love the way you styled this blazer! You really pulled it off and looked feminine with the ruffle tank underneath!

• Reply Annette March 15, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Thank you so much Jaclyn. I really appreciate you reading.

• Reply Virjinia Harp March 15, 2017 at 3:00 pm

I love how you styled it! I’m a shorty and I have broad shoulders so I feel like its totally hit or miss. That outfit is so awesome!

• Reply Annette March 15, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Thanks Virjinia 🙂 I find my shoulders to be too broad for some as well. Thank you so much for reading. Have a good night.

• Reply Angela Amores March 15, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Annette, I love your outfit, and. completely agree with you about blazers. It’s all about styling, and where you’re drawing the eye. Love this outfit on you!!
    Angela

• Reply Annette March 15, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Thank you so much Angela. It’s all an illusion. 😉 Thank you for reading. Have a good night.

• Reply Casey March 15, 2017 at 7:58 pm

This outfit is so chic! Blazers are so perfect for Houston and layering!

• Reply Annette March 15, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Thank you Casey. Outerwear is my favorite. Thanks for reading. Have a good one!

• Reply Silvia March 15, 2017 at 11:08 pm

LOVE THIS OUTFIT! I need to add more blazers in my closet they are such a staple!

• Reply Annette March 16, 2017 at 2:09 pm

They really are. A great layering piece to add that little extra something. Thanks so much for reading Silvia.

• Reply Ellie March 16, 2017 at 8:27 am

Boyfriend blazers are my favourite layering piece! I love how they can really give an outfit that final punch of style.

Ellie

• Reply Annette March 16, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Yes! They really do, great casual chic. Thank you so much for reading Ellie. Hope you are staying warm on your side of the world. 🙂