Family Style

Love Languages: My Ultimate Guide for Gifting

February 8, 2017

Have you ever given someone a gift and based on their reaction you knew you hit the jackpot? More than likely you tapped into that individuals love language. The sentiment you gave spoke to them on a deeper level simply because you spoke the language they speak emotionally. Or on the flip side, have you ever given something that you thought for sure they were going to love, yet didn’t receive the reaction you had hoped for. It’s a possibility that gift spoke more to your love language rather than the recipient’s. With Valentine’s Day approaching and the need for gifts in full swing try considering the love language your recipient identifies with as your ultimate guide for gifting.

According to author Gary Chapman, we each primarily identify with one of the 5 love languages below:

– Words of Affirmation

– Quality Time

– Receiving Gifts

– Acts of Service

– Physical Touch

WHITE DENIM SKIRT, RED BAG, WHO WHAT WEAR, RICE VILLAGE

CROSS BLOUSE, WHO WHAT WEAR SKIRT, ALL WHITE LOOK

The truth of the matter is we all communicate and receive differently. It’s what makes us who we are and how God intended for us to contribute in this life.  By no means am I an expert on love languages.  However I have always had a passion for learning people as individuals and understanding why we do what we do. I have learned over the years that understanding what makes someone thrive, learning how they communicate, and how they receive is truly the key to ones soul. It takes observation, listening, respect, and at times lots of patience. But I have found when we truly try to understand these areas in someone less friction and frustration will occur. We shift to an acceptance of who they truly are inside and embrace them for the potential they have to offer.

CROSS TOP, MACAROONS, BLACK SUNGLASSES, RED BAG

RED BUCKET BAG, RICE VILLAGE BAKERY, ALL WHITE OUTFIT, ROUND SUNNIES

We can express our appreciation with the simplest sentiments. Yet have powerful results if we are tapping into their love language.

If your loved one desires good quality time, plan some undivided one on one with them with no outside distractions. If words of affirmation make them glow, simply express what you love about them or why you are so proud of them. A simple compliment works wonders for those that need to hear you are pleased with them. If acts of service speak straight to their heart, surprise them with an extra helping hand that is outside the norm. For those that need that extra physical touch, try a spontaneous hug, tickle time, a high five, an arm around their shoulder. They will probably melt with gratitude. If receiving gifts bring them joy, pay attention to those little hints of things they like. The fact that you paid attention AND bought it for them will speak so much louder than any words.

RICE VILLAGE BAKERY, MACAROON, CROSS BLOUSE

Not only will communicating ones love language open up a whole new level of positivity in the relationship, but that sparkle in their eye when you speak to their love language is priceless and so rewarding. It automatically becomes a win-win moment for the both of you.

I encourage you to learn and communicate to your loved ones in their love languages. Not only for the holiday seasons or special occasions, but in your daily life encounters. We need to let our loved ones know we think they are important in the way that speaks to them the most. You will find nurturing their love language on a regular basis will draw out their special gifts and strengths by default. Which is what life is all about, letting our individual God given gifts and strengths work together in accordance to His plan.

BAKERY, MACAROONS, RED BAG, CROSS SHIRT, WHITE DENIM SKIRT

Have you ever researched love languages and personality traits? Did you notice a difference in how you see/relate/connect/accept others after identifying them? I would very much love to hear your thoughts and experiences on the subject. This seriously in one of my favorite topics to discuss. It’s so interesting to me. 🙂

RICE VILLAGE, RED BAG, ZARA, WHO WHAT WEAR, WHITE DENIM SKIRT

On another note, let’s switch gears a tad and talk about this all white look. Now I realize some are terrified when it comes to wearing all white due to the staining factor. And I totally get it. Especially for us moms who are constantly in the midst of some type of nastiness that comes with our beautiful children. However for me, the presence that an all white ensemble contributes is just too good to not participate in from time to time. Also this bucket bag has been my go-to lately. A pop of red just has a way of providing that finishing touch. What about you guys? Are you yah or nah when it comes to wearing white?

Unfortunately most of the pieces I’m wearing here are no longer available with the exception of the bag, however I linked some cute similar options below.

ALL WHITE OUTFIT, RICE VILLAGE, RED BUCKET BAG, ZARA, BLACK SUNNIES

ZARA, WHO WHAT WEAR, ALL WHITE, BAKERY, RICE VILLAGE

CROSS BUTTON UP, WHITE TOP, WHITE DENIM SKIRT, RICE VILLAGE

Thank you so much for reading. I truly appreciate our visits.

ALL WHITE OUTFIT, RED BAG, TEAL DOOR, RICE VILLAGE HOUSTON

Wearing:

TOP Rue 21 (similar) (similar) | SKIRT Who What Wear (similar) | BOOTIES Charlotte Russe (similar) (similar) | BAG Zara

ALL IMAGES: Broken Light Bulb

*This post is not sponsored in anyway, and was simply written based on my opinion on the subject alone.

Latest Posts

• Reply Brenda Zapata February 8, 2017 at 8:19 am

I loved this!! It’s very true, my husband is ridiculously hard to buy a gift for on our every 3 year anniversary I make him a book on shutterfly of the past three years that have gone by. His smile while he flips through each page and reads each paragraph makes me so happy because I know he loves to reminace on those days. I always tell my littles it’s the little things that make us happy. On another note I love this outfit on you and the pop of color from the bag and the teal window frames!! Love it! I wear whites on date nights when the kiddos aren’t around 😉

• Reply Annette February 9, 2017 at 6:05 pm

I love seeing those kind of smiles. So special. 🙂 It really is the little things. It’s so easy to get caught up in other things. We just need to step back and look right around us and enjoy all the blessings we have. Thank you so much for reading Brenda. Hope you guys have a good night. xo

• Reply Casey February 8, 2017 at 10:26 am

Great post! I agree that everyone has a different love language. You look great in your all white outfit!

• Reply Annette February 9, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Casey I appreciate you reading. See you soon. 🙂

• Reply Tabitha Blue February 8, 2017 at 10:58 am

Yes!!! And love that shirt too!

• Reply Annette February 9, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Thank you Tabitha. Have a great night. 🙂

• Reply Joleen Pete February 8, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Of course we all have different love languages, you are right on that tapping into each person’s language is the key to successful communication and gift giving. A little thoughts can go a long way! 🙂

• Reply Annette February 9, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Thanks for reading Joleen. Have a good night.

• Reply Silvia February 8, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Love this post! Love language can come in so many different ways and I’m glad you were able to point some of them out! Also loving this look!

• Reply Annette February 9, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Thank you Silvia! 🙂

• Reply Justine Y @ Little Dove February 8, 2017 at 10:30 pm

I love your outfit and that bag! Also, your post jumped out at me because I recently read Dr. Chapman’s book about the Five Love Languages and I found it so interesting!

• Reply Annette February 9, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Thank you! The topic is so interesting to me. 🙂 Thank you so much for reading Justine. Have a great night.

• Reply Savanna February 8, 2017 at 11:15 pm

Yes! I absolutely loooove this post.

• Reply Annette February 9, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Thank you! I really appreciate you reading Savanna. Have a great night. 🙂

• Reply Angela Amores February 9, 2017 at 9:03 am

Annette, I loved reading this Valentines post. I have been wanting to read this book for ages, but for whatever reason life has gotten in the way. Thanks for sharing!! It was really insightful!!
    Angela

• Reply Annette February 9, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Thank you Angela. I know life sure does have a way of doing that sometimes. Have a good one! 😉

• Reply Rachel February 9, 2017 at 8:44 pm

I am absolutely someone that needs words of affirmation. And I’ve told my husband that! 🙂 PS. I LOVE your outfit.

• Reply Annette February 11, 2017 at 8:30 pm

That’s awesome that you informed your hubs! Hopefully he speaks that one for ya.;) Thank you so much for reading Rachel. 🙂

• Reply Patricia Hobson February 11, 2017 at 8:12 am

As you know, this topic is something that has been a interest of mine for years. Knowing a person’s love language is something that will help you in relationships, co-workers, friends, family. I have always been afraid of white……but I love that top! Great post!

• Reply Annette February 11, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Don’t be scared it won’t hurt ya! 🙂

• Reply Sandy a la Mode February 14, 2017 at 3:00 pm

I loved reading this! Such great ideas – and I LOVE that bag, the color is so perfect! In love!

• Reply Annette February 15, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Thank you Sandy, I really appreciate that. The bag has definitely been on repeat lately. I didn’t realize how many outfits a red bag would work with until I got this. I appreciate you reading Sandy. Have a great one!

• Reply Claudia February 14, 2017 at 8:23 pm

I can buy a gift for anyone except my hubby! He is super hard to but for! Thanks for this!! Love your looks as well!

• Reply Annette February 15, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Thank you Claudia! It’s true some people are just so hard to buy for. My oldest son is the least materialistic person I know so it gets pretty tricky for him. I appreciate you reading Claudia. Have a good one!

• Reply Kristen February 15, 2017 at 2:13 am

I never looked at the five languages of love for gift giving. But this is so true. To take the time to really understand how a person reacts is honestly the best gift of all. This post definitely gives me the push to read the book! I have had it for years.

• Reply Annette February 15, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Definitely worth reading. Thank you for reading Kristen. Hope you have a good one. 🙂