Life Lessons Style

Tis the Season for Spring Cleaning

February 1, 2017
YELLOW TOP, CROPPED FLARES, MULES, BLUE CROSSBODY, WATER WALL, HOUSTON, WATERFALLS, RED HAIR

Tis the season for spring cleaning, right? The hype of the new year is settling and our intensions and goals for the future are suddenly becoming a rude awakening. We begin to realize that in order to achieve them we need to clean house! Hence the spring cleaning season our society naturally defaults to year after year, begins! I know, your probably thinking…didn’t you just post last week that messes are beautiful and we should embrace them? Yep, I sure did! And let me tell you, over the last week living in my “new perspective” has been extremely challenging to say the least. I am going bonkers!! No joke!

CROPPED FLARES, COBALT BLUE BAG, MULES, YELLOW SWEATER

Mind you, I had completely different plans for this weeks post, however every time I would sit down to pursue as planned nothing would form right or make sense! It seems there is a continuation on last weeks subject because I can’t seem to think about anything else.

There is no doubt God very much meant what He revealed to me here. However we all know God’s revelations ALWAYS have a bigger plan in mind and changing my perspective was only the beginning.  Now that He has shifted my perspective to what really matters I need to remove the distractions that don’t.

CROPPED FLARE JEANS, YELLOW TURTLENECK, BLUE CROSSBODY, BROWN MULES, HOUSTON WATER WALL, WATERFALL

Shortly after my perspective “shift” if you will, I watched a documentary on Netflix called “Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things“. It was getting a lot of hype so I thought I would check it out. And wow! What an eye opener! I immediately realized that our household not only has a ridiculous amount of stuff that brings no value whatsoever! But we have also accumulated habits and patterns that bring no value to the true purpose we have been called to. These are the true “messes”. And these “messes” are distracting us from seeing what really matters.

Although I don’t plan to pursue a true hard core minimalist lifestyle anytime soon. However during this spring cleaning season I pray that God will reveal those unnecessary distractions that are keeping me from focusing on what really matters in this life. So it looks like a “to be continued” is in order. I hope His revelations won’t be too painful! 😐

What about you guys? Have you seen the documentary mentioned? If so, did it stir up any spring cleaning urges? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

LIGHT WASH JEANS, CROPPED FLARE JEANS, YELLOW TOP, BLUE BAG, WATER WALL, HOUSTON, TEXAS, WATERFALL

On another note, these sunshine yellows, clear sky blues, and refreshing waterfalls just seemed appropriate for setting the scene for my spring cleaning season. 🙂 Thank you for reading.

Wearing:

TOP Vintage (similar) | JEANS (similar) | SHOES (similar) | HANDBAG Forever 21 (similar)

ALL IMAGES: Broken Light Bulb

Latest Posts

• Reply Casey February 1, 2017 at 8:39 am

Great post! I too have tons of stuff that bring no value to me. I’m going to have to do some Spring cleaning soon!

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:31 pm

I’m looking forward to the task, but Not looking forward to it. I think it’s the end result that is the motivation for me. Thanks for reading Casey. Have a good weekend. See you soon. 😉

• Reply jessica February 1, 2017 at 1:00 pm

I have that documentary on my list! We have SO MUCH stuff that just clutters up our lives. It’s hard with two tiny humans and I’m a bit of a hoarder.

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:11 pm

It is hard with little ones. Highly recommend the documentary. So good! Have a great weekend Jessica. Thank you for reading.

• Reply Erin Campbell February 1, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Right? I watched Minimalism too and I just wanted to get rid of everything I owned. Lol! I’ve done two loads to the thrift store in the last week and I’m only a third of the way through the house. Here’s to spring cleaning and purging!

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I know exactly what you mean. I haven’t started my purging, but am so on board to just get it all out! lol Thank you so much for reading Erin. Have a great weekend.

• Reply Silvia February 1, 2017 at 5:48 pm

That sounds like a very interesting documentary! I’ll have to watch it. I’ve been seeing people post about minimalism and while it would help on certain things I don’t think I could do it on everything. I want to know how your spring cleaning goes!

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Yeah I don’t think I could join the full blown minimalist lifestyle. I like pretty things too much! lol Thanks for reading Silvia. Have fun this weekend!

• Reply Charity February 1, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Wow, Annette! Very thought provoking message. I’ve heard of this documentary as another friend of mine was inspired by it, and sold everything in her home! I love to Spring Clean, I actually like to do so before the Chinese New Year, which is a tradition before the lunar year begins. I also remove toxic people from my life, unfollowing them on social media, etc. It feels so much better to surround yourself with what and who truly matter in your life!

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Oh wow! She sold everything in her home??! lol I hope I don’t go too crazy in the project. Your so right…it is so important to only surround yourself with positive. Thanks for reading Charity. 🙂

• Reply Patricia Hobson February 1, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Wait until you hit 60 and you realize you have boxes of sentimental items that your grandmother and mother owned, and your saying …but it was my mom’s or grandmother’s I can’t sell it or give it away. I’ve turned a corner and those items are up for grabs or out the door they go if I don’t use them or even look at them. My weekly trips to Goodwill is becoming quit rewarding. Never put off tomorrow what you can do today! Love the Photo by the waterfalls!

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Thanks mom. The waterfall picture was fun; however I was drenched afterwards. lol I’m sure I will run into some of that sentimental conflict when I tackle this project. Thanks for reading. love ya!

• Reply Patricia February 2, 2017 at 4:35 am

I’ve heard a lot about this documentary!! I know there are a number of things we need to let go of. This is definitely motivating me to start the process!

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:14 pm

It really is a great documentary. It just makes a lot of sense. Good luck! Thank you for reading Patricia. Have a great weekend. 🙂

• Reply Ana February 2, 2017 at 11:28 am

Absolutely love the color of that top! Its fantastic and I feel like I need that in my liiiife! Specially for spring time.

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Thank you Ana, I appreciate that. It’s an oldie but goodie. 🙂 Thank you for reading Ana. Have a great weekend.

• Reply Abby February 2, 2017 at 9:39 pm

I LOVE that documentary! So eye opening for sure- we keep so much stuff we don’t need!

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:16 pm

We really do! I don’t even know where half of it even comes from! Thank you so much for reading Abby. Have a great weekend. It should be busy here in Houston with all the superbowl hype. 😉

• Reply Ashley J. February 3, 2017 at 12:48 am

I’ve been wanting to check out that Minimalism documentary as well. This might be a sign!

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I highly recommend it. Just great points made in the documentary. Thanks so much for ready Ashley. Have a great weekend. 😉

• Reply Hanna February 3, 2017 at 6:32 am

Were in the process of a major purge of our things too! I also LOVE the yellow of this shirt with your hair!

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Thank you! 🙂 I’m ready to dig into ours very soon. Thank you so much for reading Hanna. Have a great weekend!

• Reply Heydy February 3, 2017 at 11:06 am

I’ve always wondered about that show. I think its time for a little purge at my place too!!
    P.S. loving your yellow shirt, it really brings out your hair colour 🙂

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Thank you Heydy, I appreciate that. 🙂 It was a really eye opening documentary. Highly recommend watching. Thanks for much for reading. Have a great weekend.

• Reply Jennifer Griffin February 3, 2017 at 11:14 am

Have not seen the documentary, but I did Life-Changing Magic of Tidying this past year and my creativity went through the roof!

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:20 pm

I think I just recently heard about that. It’s a book right? Will have to check into that. Thank you so much for reading Jennifer. Have a great weekend. 🙂

• Reply Adeline February 3, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Wow it sounds like I really need to watch that documentary!! I have such a hard time with any clutter around me, it makes me crazy. Thanks for the post!

• Reply Annette February 3, 2017 at 1:21 pm

I hear ya Adeline. Clutter so stresses me out too. I highly recommend checking it out. So many great points in it. Thank you so much for reading. Have a blessed weekend.

• Reply Ola February 3, 2017 at 4:53 pm

No I have not seen this documentary. I’ll definitely look into it. I’ve been purging
    Like crazy. Simplify simplify, simplify is the key.

• Reply Annette February 7, 2017 at 10:21 am

Yes, I was throwing away things like crazy yesterday. I so need simplicity in my life. lol Thank you so much for reading Ola. Have a great day.