Lifestyle Style

Why I’m Changing My Perspective on Messes

January 25, 2017

Lately it has felt like I have been surrounded by mess! I’m talking toys laying around everywhere, mounds of laundry (clean/dirty all mixed together!), piles of dishes, trash over-flowing, boxes awaiting to be un-packed, donation piles to be sorted through….the list goes on and on. And to top it off, I literally checked off most of those things on my to-do list just last week!! And here we are again! With what seems like no end in sight!

lace top, black lace blouse, charlotte russe, messy life, changing my perspective

To cut myself SOME slack, the recent addition of this blog and my new internship duties has shifted my normal routine quite a bit. So getting into a new groove is something I’m still trying to figure out. But to be honest, for as long as I can remember I have felt “the crazies” over messes. Perfection happens to be one of my favorites. Which is weird considering I have never met her before! She sounds nice??! I am NOT a fan of clutter and at times can barely function without some type of order in place. I’m talking curled up fetal position in a corner somewhere! Ok so not quite that bad, but you get the picture. I like tidy spaces. I have often wished I didn’t mind clutter. It seems like it would make my life a whole lot easier!

Now I’m sure there are tactics I could put in place to better assist this daunting never ending game called housework. And once I find the time to figure all that out I will get right on it! Perhaps that will be another blog post later down the road. But for now and for the sake of my sanity, I feel like God is asking me to change my perspective on these so called “messes”.

God showed me I shouldn’t let those toys all over the place drive me up the wall. They represent the fact that I am blessed with three amazing children that are actively developing their imaginations. Those piles of dishes represent the fact that our family is blessed with food on the table. Those mounds of laundry represent the fact that we have clothes on our back. He showed me that what I consider “mess” is really simply a representation of life being lived. And that they should be considered “beautiful messes” because by the grace of God, life gets to happen!

These particular photos were taken last spring. It was my first style photo shoot ever and I remember feeling intrigued with this wall. I felt the colorful paint markings imperfectly dripping downward portrayed a unique artistic concept of beauty.

lace peplum top, cropped flares, stuart weitzman boots, biscuit wall, houston, texas, messes

Shortly after my blog launched I pulled these photos out and quickly began to find all kinds of messy issues with them. I felt my hair was fuzzy, my clothes looked frumpy, and so on. Based on my perspective on these photos I had made a decision to never use them.

lace peplum top, charlotte russe, biscuit wall, round sunniesbiscuit wall, distressed denim, black lace, black sunnies, messlace blouse, red hair, round black sunnies, biscuit wall, changing perspectivelace blouse, collar details, black leather clutch, diy clutch, red hair

God revealed to me that these photos represent exactly what He has been trying to teach me. Yes, my hair may have been fuzzy and my clothes may not have laid the way I would have preferred, but that is how life rolls sometimes. The art in this wall simply reflects paint markings in an imperfect messy manner, but the picture as a whole represents a mess in an ever so beautiful way.

Who knew the photo shoot I did nearly a year ago would be the tool God would use to teach me a lesson where I needed it today. He is pretty awesome like that!

robert stuartzman booties, distressed enim light wash jeans, cropped flares, diy cropped flare jeans, biscuit wall, houston

So I’m not quite sure I’ll ever FULLY surrender to a messy lifestyle. However I am learning to loosen up a bit and let go of the constant strive for picture perfection. I am also learning to accept that life happens and at times is shows itself in beautiful mess form.

houston, texas, biscuit wall, blogger photo wall, houston murals, black lace, cropped flares, black clutch

Do any of you struggle with the constant need for a mess free environment? How do you deal with it when it’s not? Would love to hear about them and your thoughts in the comments below. Thank you so much for reading. God bless you and yours.

♥ Annette

WHAT I’M WEARING:

TOP (Charlotte Russesimilar, similar, similar | JEANS (Unknown – similar, similar)

BOOTS (Stuart Wietzman – similar) | CLUTCH (Me – DIY – similar, similar)

ALL IMAGES: BOKEN LIGHT BULB

– Current Jam –

“O Come, O Come, Emmanuel” by Steven Sharp Nelson

– TOP POSTS & PAGES –

• Reply Jessi January 25, 2017 at 7:57 am

My house is a mess lately, but I just kinda started letting it go. It will never be perfect with these kids here, and I would rather enjoy time with my kids than stress over having a spotless home.

• Reply Annette January 25, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Your right…I keep telling my self I don’t want my kids memory of me to be ‘well she kept a tidy house” lol! Thanks for reading and sharing Jessi. 🙂

• Reply Gloria Tiberi January 26, 2017 at 12:59 am

I get help from the kids, it’s good to teach your kids responsibility at a young age. I of course do the more tedious jobs as well as jobs that I want done a specific way but it’s nice to get that extra help. I don’t like for my house or work space to be messy but w/kids sometimes it is hard not to have that perfect (as seen in magazines) house.

• Reply Casey January 25, 2017 at 8:14 am

This post has such a great message! I am the opposite, meaning I wish clutter/mess bothered me more. Tidying up is ALWAYS on my to-do list. You look great!

• Reply Annette January 25, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Thank you Casey! 🙂 Well maybe we can find somewhere down the middle. Thanks for reading.

• Reply Bonnie Marrow January 25, 2017 at 8:31 am

I’m the same way…it’s truly hard for me to do anything at all if the house is a mess….thanks for sharing!

• Reply Annette January 25, 2017 at 7:11 pm

It’s definitely a tricky one. My husband can see it in my eyes when I’m struggling with it. He says I look as if I zoned out in la la land. Thanks for reading Bonnie.

• Reply Jackie January 25, 2017 at 8:50 am

Love this. It’s a mommies life day in and day out. You look amazing in the photos!

• Reply Annette January 25, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Thank you Jackie! 🙂 It’s a tricky one to say the least. Thank you for reading and sharing. Hope you guys have a good night.

• Reply Silvia January 25, 2017 at 8:56 am

These photos came out great! I love that top! I struggle with having everything look perfect too. My boyfriend is the one that usually calms me down and makes me see things in a different perspective.

• Reply Annette January 25, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Thank you Silvia. 🙂 Thank goodness we have those partners to calm us down, right? Have a good night. xo

• Reply Stacy January 25, 2017 at 12:38 pm

I don’t know if I can fully embrace the “messy” lifestyle either, but I know I need to learn to let go a little more often! Great post!

• Reply Annette January 25, 2017 at 7:14 pm

It’s definitely challenging…especially since tidy places make me so happy, lol! Oh the struggles. 😉 Thanks for reading Stacy.

• Reply Charity January 25, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Annette! I love the authenticity in your blog post! Yes, life gets messy, but I love how your perspective can change everything! And these photos are beautiful! So glad you posted them!

• Reply Annette January 25, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Thank you so much Charity. I really appreciate that. Years ago my Grandma shared her favorite book “The Power of Positive Thinking” with me. That book changed my life. Truly is a mindset for so many things in life. Thanks for reading and sharing Charity. And it was amazing getting to visit with you guys today. Your spirit/presence is beautiful. xoxo

• Reply Kelly January 25, 2017 at 1:18 pm

I too, am driven crazy by toy messes. And dish messes. And laundry messes. Thank you for sharing these words of wisdom. Sometimes you just need to know that someone else is experiencing the same struggle. Also, your photos are beautiful!

• Reply Annette January 25, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Thank you Kelly. 🙂 It is so true…I’m sure we will survive. lol. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Have a good evening.

• Reply Kaycee January 25, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Love your positive outlook on “messy”. Just know that you are not alone! I am learning how to not say “sorry” a 1,000 times when I have a guest over if the house isn”t 100% perfectly picked up. I’m embracing the mess! I also read the book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. That has helped me with my closet and drawers! Thanks for being so open!

• Reply Annette January 25, 2017 at 7:20 pm

I will be so happy when I get to the embracing part. lol! I will have to check that book out. Thank you for sharing Kaycee. Have a good night.

• Reply Janette Shearer January 25, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Such a great outlook on mess… I totally agree with you! I’m working on getting my husband to embrace it a bit more! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Annette January 25, 2017 at 7:28 pm

It’s a process…go easy on him. 😉 Thanks for reading Janette. Have a great night.

• Reply Janella Panchamsingh January 25, 2017 at 7:29 pm

I keep telling my hubby this, he always likes the house spotless like 3 kids don’t live in it and i think it takes away from it feeling home-like sometimes

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 9:52 pm

I’m not gonna lie, I do enjoy a spotless home. But you have a very good point. The proof of life within a home is what makes it a home. Otherwise it’s just a tidy house. 🙂 Thanks for reading Janella.

• Reply Ellie January 25, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Drfinitely some thoughtful and interesting points on mess. I’m not at all good with messes around the home. “Cluttered home, Cluttered mind” this is what my Mum always told me. I just think better and find my anxiety acts up when my home is messy. Great photos! That wall is incredible!

Ellie

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 10:03 pm

It is so true. I completely understand “cluttered home, clutter mind” concept. I just watched a documentary this evening on Netflix called “Minimalism and it really inspired me to perhaps eliminate a lot of un-purposeful things in my home. If I don’t have so much stuff, I won’t have that much stuff to tend to. We shall see…sounded like some very valuable points to think about. Have a great night Ellie. Thanks again for reading.

• Reply Jen January 25, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Great perspective! Lovng with kids and living with messes go hand in hand.

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm

So true. Thank you for reading Jen. Have a good night.

• Reply Jessica Kromer January 25, 2017 at 9:23 pm

I love the background in these photos. You look great in them, and I’m glad you decided to use them. 🙂

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Thank you so much Jessica. I appreciate you reading and saying that. Have a good night.

• Reply Lindsay January 25, 2017 at 9:29 pm

your outfit combinations are always so cool and unexpected! that top is gorgeous

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Thank you so much Lindsay. I really appreciate that. 🙂 And I haven’t forgotten about your Style Edit… I just need to read it again so that I better understand what I need to do. Hope you have a good night.

• Reply Thirty30Courtney January 25, 2017 at 9:30 pm

So, I yelled when I saw the cover image because I LOVE the Biscuit Paint Wall in Houston! I take advantage of it every time I visit home nowadays. I think this sentiment- “es, my hair may have been fuzzy and my clothes may not have laid the way I would have preferred, but that is how life rolls sometimes.” is SPOT on. I think as bloggers especially, we want to convey an “all together” image, but that IS NOT me at all and I have to be real with myself sometimes.

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Courtney – you made me smile. You are so right. And I so prefer REAL. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts, I truly appreciate them. Have a great night Courtney.

• Reply Megan January 25, 2017 at 11:27 pm

It is so hard to let go of the messes. Somedays I can let them slide and then some days I just loose it. What a great way to look at these photos and grow. xo ~ Megan

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 10:16 pm

I am the same way…I can only let it go for so long and then bam, freak out! lol My poor family. 😉 I’m still not there, but I’m trying. Thanks for reading Megan. xo

• Reply Patricia Hobson January 26, 2017 at 12:19 am

I think I might have had a part in the can’t deal with clutter……..I think the way I could work through some of that . was by telling myself to ” Pick Your Battles”. The people are the most important, not the things. The wall is a great background! Photographer did a great job! Love the top!

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Thanks! Casey with thebrokenbulb.com always does an amazing job. Pick your Battles is a must in life. lol Thanks for reading momma. 🙂

• Reply Miri Nadler January 26, 2017 at 7:51 am

Good perspective. The messes always re-accumulate but are signs of very good things indeed. 🙂

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 10:18 pm

Thanks Miri. I appreciate you reading. Have a good night.

• Reply Sumer January 26, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Great post and a great perspective! I struggle with the mess SO MUCH, but this is a fantastic way of looking at it. Thank you for sharing your heart!

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Thank you Sumer. It is definitely a tricky one to deal with. I appreciate you reading and sharing your thoughts. Have a great night!

• Reply Jody Tucker January 26, 2017 at 3:54 pm

So, messy is not your thing huh? Wasn’t mine either but I think you put the perfect spin on it. Your family is blessed with oh so many things and I know for a fact that you have the 3 cutest kids and a great husband to boot! You are such a beautiful person inside and out Annette and I find your blog to be thought provoking and honest. Keep it up and don’t worry about the messes. When the kids are grown and gone and your house is clean, you will wish it to all come back!

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Thank you so much Jodi! I keep telling myself I will miss the mess when they are grown, but then I start to think that is completely ludicrous! lol 😉 No, in all seriousness I know it’s not what is utmost important. I don’t want my kiddos to remember me as “well she did keep a tidy house.”. ya know? I just take lots of deep breaths as I weave through my messy house. 😉
      Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate them.

• Reply Shani | Sunshine & Munchkins January 26, 2017 at 4:00 pm

This is a beautiful perspective. I am the same way and I like things tidy and get really anxious when my home is in disarray. And isn’t it amazing how God turns simple things into beautiful lessons?

• Reply Annette January 26, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Thanks Shani for reading and sharing your thoughts. And yes, He is so cool like that!! 🙂 Have a good night.

• Reply Lauren January 27, 2017 at 6:24 am

Such a great reminder!! My son is the king of emptying all the toys out and sometimes I want to say “AH STOP!” but the other part of me wants him to be a kid. I definitely need to loosen up when it comes to this so thank you for the encouragement 🙂

• Reply Annette January 29, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Thank you so much for reading and sharing your thoughts. It is definitely a struggle to “ignore” the mess, but I’m trying. Have a great day Lauren! 🙂

• Reply Gloria January 27, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Loved the images! A PERFECT beautiful art mess. 😁 You look amazing and those things you mentioned not being perfect, ARE.

• Reply Annette January 29, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Thank you so much Gloria for reading and the kind words. Have a wonderful evening. 🙂

• Reply Living Life Our Way January 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm

I think it is so important to let the small stuff go! Life is messy, things aren’t perfect. Letting go off that helps me feel less stressed. Katie x

• Reply Annette January 29, 2017 at 2:59 pm

That is a great perspective Katie…thank you for reading and sharing that. Your right, letting it go can take the stress away. 🙂 Have a good evening Katie.

• Reply Rachel January 29, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Yes yes yes! This rings so true for me! Also? LOVE your photo shoot!

• Reply Annette January 30, 2017 at 9:50 am

Thank you Rachel. 🙂 I appreciate you reading and sharing your thoughts. Have a great day.